on campus

Faculty cleared in 3 internal Title IX cases, 4th being adjudicated

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

The University Senate Committee on Academic Freedom, Tenure and Professional Ethics compiled a report about the internal Title IX cases.

Syracuse University faculty have been cleared of alleged policy violations in three internal Title IX cases, according to a newly released report. The cases were opened during the 2018-19 school year. 

The University Senate Committee on Academic Freedom, Tenure and Professional Ethics compiled the report. The one-page document was released via a Senate email listserv late Friday afternoon.

A fourth internal Title IX case from 2018-19 is still being adjudicated, according to the report.

The three resolved cases were centered around allegations that faculty violated Section 4.1 of SU’s Faculty Manual. Section 4.1 prohibits discrimination and sexual harassment. It also outlines an SU policy that bans sexual and romantic relationships between faculty and undergraduate students.

Two of the three cases concluded last summer and one wrapped up during the fall 2019 semester. Details about the ongoing fourth case were not immediately available. 

Since the start of the 2019-20 school year, AFTPE has also launched investigations into a complaint alleging faculty behavior in violation of the Faculty Manual and two complaints related to “potential violations” of faculty rights, according to the report.

The report did not detail any of the specific allegations in the 2019-20 cases, which remain open.

The committee’s chair, Matthew Cleary, an associate professor of political science, said he could not provide information about the three new cases in an email Friday night.

“AFTPE additionally reviewed but declined to investigate one case based on a complaint submitted to the committee,” the report states.

The Senate Agenda Committee previously asked AFTPE to consider revisions to Section 4.11 of the Faculty Manual, which specifies procedures for the investigation and adjudication of complaints against faculty under Section 4.1. 

That process is ongoing, according to the report. AFTPE wants to present its proposed changes to the Senate later this semester.

A team of Daily Orange writers is investigating the sexual misconduct reporting and adjudication procedures at Syracuse University. Read more about our work here and reach out. We want to hear from you.