Women's Lacrosse

Mary Rahal’s game-winner gives No. 6 Syracuse 17-16 overtime victory over Harvard

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

Redshirt freshman midfielder Mary Rahal scored the game-winner 40 seconds into overtime.

Behind Mary Rahal’s overtime game-winner, No. 6 Syracuse (8-2, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) beat Harvard (4-2, 1-0 Ivy), 17-16, on neutral ground in Winter Park, Florida on Saturday night.

Syracuse entered the second half leading 10-6, but the Crimson posted 10 points in the second half to SU’s 6, tying the game 16-16 and forcing the game into overtime. The Orange won after Rahal scored off an assist by goalie Asa Goldstock 40 seconds into overtime. This was the eighth match-up between the Orange and the Crimson. SU leads the series 8-0.

The first half started close, with Natalie Wallon opening the game with the first goal. The Crimson quickly answered. Goals by Neena Merola and Riley Donahue followed.

Wallon, Rahal, Alie Jimerson and Nicole Levy each had three goals. Donahue, Merola, Kelzi Van Atta, Cara Quimby and Emily Hawryschuk each had a goal as well.

In the second half, Harvard outscored SU, 10-6. A 7-1 run through most of the second half tied the game at 15 all. Levy scored with 41 seconds left on the clock, putting SU ahead, 16-15. In the last couple of seconds of the game, Harvard won the draw and, with nine seconds on the clock, the Crimson’s Nicole Baiocco scored.

With only seconds left, Wallon won the draw. Levy shot the ball at the goal but it flew wide left and sent the game into overtime. Rahal scored and SU won.

Goldstock’s 16 saves was a career high for the freshman goalie. Her assist in the final goal of the game was her first offensive point this season. SU won 18 draw controls, eight of which were by draw control specialist Morgan Widner.

Syracuse’s next game is on Sunday, March 26 against Notre Dame in the Carrier Dome.