Tattoo Tuesday

Mar Regan’s 11 tattoos mark experiences and struggles

Kali Bowden | Staff Photographer

Mar Regan's King of Hearts tattoo commemorates their late grandfather.

No matter how insignificant they may seem, a tattoo can act as a bookmark for a specific moment in a person’s life, a monument to one’s values at a certain time. People who get many tattoos throughout their lives often display novels of their experiences for everyone to see. Just take a look at Mar Regan, who has gotten 11 tattoos since the age of 18.

The junior — majoring in theater design and technology and specializing in set design — has tattoos ranging from a King of Hearts to commemorate their late grandfather, to stick and poke tattoos that they and their friend spontaneously decided to give each other one night. Each one, however, is equally filled with meaning.

“As an artist, I’ve always been visually drawn to tattoos,” Regan said. “Art can tell a really strong story about the struggles someone’s gone through and what’s shaped them to be who they are.”

Anyone who asks Regan about their tattoos will quickly learn all about the struggles that shaped them to be who they are today. For example, their “Fahrenheit 451” tattoo represents the struggles of growing up in a conservative area of Ohio. Regan read “Fahrenheit 451,” a dystopian novel that examines book burning and censorship, in high school. It was not until they came to Syracuse University, however, that the novel’s meaning really impacted them.

“I identify as queer and under the trans* umbrella, and growing up in a conservative area I didn’t get to learn very much about gender identity and sexuality,” Regan said. “When I was able to come to Syracuse, I learned a lot about these things that I was censored from while growing up. It helped me to accept myself more.”

Regan also displays an open heart with an equality symbol on their ankle as a tribute to the LGBTQ community. They got the tattoo the year gay marriage was legalized in the United States.

“It took me a few months before I finally decided to go through with getting that tattoo, because I knew my parents wouldn’t be happy about it,” they said. “I ultimately decided to get it as a step toward being more open about my sexuality and gender identity.”

Regan’s most recent tattoo was self-done: an ellipsis on their middle finger to serve as a reminder to pause and think before lashing out when getting angry.

Reagan offered advice to those hesitant about tattoos.

Said Regan: “A lot of people veer away from tattoos because they think they’ll grow up and not want it on their body anymore. If you grow up and think ‘that’s not part of me anymore,’ I kind of like the idea of keeping those things as a reminder of what was important to you at what time in your life. Even if it’s spontaneous, a tattoo always marks something important.”