slice of life

Datsik is pumped to vibe with Syracuse students at his upcoming performance

Liam Sheehan | Staff Photographer

Datsik has always enjoyed coming to Syracuse because he said students here have good music taste.

DJ and producer Datsik is performing at The Westcott Theater on January 18. Here’s what he had to say about his background and what music has meant to him.  

The Daily Orange: What are you looking forward to most about performing in Syracuse and in front of Syracuse University students?

Datsik: I always like coming back to Syracuse. The vibe and energy there is always on point and kids know what’s up musically. I like meeting people as well ,so it usually turns into some fun times before and after the show as well. I’m pumped to be back.

The D.O.: How did you originally get inspired and start to make music?

Datsik: Inspiration comes from all different places for me. However, I think when I first started I was getting a lot of inspiration from hip-hop. Wu-Tang specifically, as they had such a unique style — gritty unperfected beats and rhymes that just made sense to me. I feel like taking inspiration from that and moving into bass music and dubstep somehow made sense to me at the time. These days I try and turn off a lot of music unless I’m in the studio or maybe on a plane so I can really listen. I listen to all types of stuff these days instead of just hip-hop. 

The D.O.: What about it makes you stay motivated and keep going?

Datsik: I honestly love what I do. I don’t really care about the money. I’m happy I make money off of music so I can make it my focus. If I wasn’t a DJ or producer I honestly don’t know what I would do — maybe work as a sound designer somewhere for a video game or movies, perhaps. Honestly, it’s just still awesome and mind-blowing that kids are coming out to party and listen to the music that I make. I’m very appreciative of that.

The D.O.: How do you feel listening to your music in the studio versus a live concert?

Datsik: Live concerts are always where it translates the most. I try and play new music out on club systems before I finish it most of the time. I prefer the studio as you can change anything that’s wrong very easily when you hear it. But both have their place and both are necessary to finish up music, in my opinion.

The D.O.: Do you like collaborating with other DJs and musicians?

Datsik: I love collaboration. I feel it allows everyone involved to bring their unique sound and vibe to the table, and sometimes collabs can help negate writer’s block. It’s always fun learning new things while working with other producers, so for that reason alone I will always keep doing collaborations.

The D.O.: If you were to be able to play in any sort of festival or venue, what would it be and why?

Datsik: If I could play anywhere ever, it would be Shambhala Music Festival, and we do it every year — and every year tops the last. It’s the best time I’ve ever had in my life, every single time. How can you top that?

The D.O.: Do you have any advice for up-and-coming artists?

Datsik: Yeah, be you and keep at it. Learn to take criticism, if you can and stay positive through it all, you’re already winning the battle. As you grow, people try and define who you are as an artist. Don’t let it happen, and if you get haters that’s a good thing. They say if you ain’t got haters, you ain’t popping. Best of luck out there, young ninjas.